How do I “rollover” funds from a previous employer plan to an IRA?

A “direct rollover” is the movement of retirement funds directly from a previous employer plan into a traditional IRA. A direct rollover must be initiated by the plan participant(employee) and is typically requested by completing the employer or plan administrator’s “direct rollover” form. A rollover from a qualified employer plan into an IRA is not a taxable event. The current administrator/employer is not required to withhold federal taxes on direct rollovers to a qualified IRA.